Thursday, December 23, 2021

An old debate revisited

If I've learned anything about poker, it's that there will always be more to learn. You must be prepared to be a perpetual student. A corollary of this axiom is that you will continually discover that what you thought was true is actually a half-truth at best, and is sometimes downright false. Another corollary is that your poker theories will go in and out of fashion in your own mind. There will be debates you have with yourself that you can never truly resolve. There will be poker questions for which you will never have a permanent answer. Strangely enough, I think this is actually a good thing.

One of the poker questions for which I will never have a permanent answer is the question of when is the best time to join an MTT. Sometimes, I'm convinced that the answer is before the tournament has officially started. At other times, I'm convinced that the answer is as late in the late registration period as you possibly can. At still other times, I'm convinced the answer is that it doesn't matter at all when you join. I can make plausible cases for each of these viewpoints.

Last night, I joined a tournament late in its late registration period. This practically guaranteed that I'd outlast the late registration period, but it didn't guarantee that I'd make the money. However, since the only way to make the money in a tournament is to outlast the late registration period to begin with, it can't be all that bad to increase your chances of doing just that :-)

style flavor buy_in  entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE    87000  13000       6      73   21    20   139000

delta: $39,000
MTT NLHE balance: $42,510,268
2021 balance: $16,688,500
blue distance: $507,200
balance: $94,353,953

No comments:

Post a Comment