Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Mystery check

As is so often the case, the most memorable hand of last night's session was one that I lost. I didn't hit the rail with it, but when the dust had settled, my stack was on life support. What was so memorable about the hand was not something I did; it was something my opponent didn't do. I'd been dealt a small pair, and never hit a set. The river card was an ace, and there was a nine in the flop. He'd been dealt A9o (ace nine offsuit), so he'd made aces up on the river. He was first to act, and simply checked. There were no straight or flush draws, and the board hadn't paired. I can't fathom checking in that spot; it's a mystery to me why he did. I checked right back, and quickly got the bad news. I can only come up with two possible explanations for his check, and neither is very plausible or satisfying:

1. he was preparing a check-raise

2. he took pity on a short stack

If I had to pick, I'd go with the first.

style flavor buy_in entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE   174000 26000       6      92   24    41        0

delta: $-200,000
MTT NLHE balance: $23,001,668
2020 balance: $15,779,343
balance: $77,587,353

No comments:

Post a Comment