Thursday, April 8, 2010

Porpoising

I first encountered the term "porpoising" in Michael Crichton's novel "Airframe"; he was referring to the phenomenon of an airplane rising and falling repeatedly, similar to a porpoise leaping in and out of the water. I (or more precisely, my stack :-) experienced this phenomenon in last night's session. I went up about 5 or 6K and then back down again at least three times. Luckily for me, when the next upswing hit, it was bigger than the previous ones, and I had no trouble calling it a night.

My penultimate hand, forbearance early on reaped a big reward for me later. I flopped a full house, and didn't bet a red cent the first two times the action was on me. Luckily enough, one of my opponents caught a flush on the river, and I engaged in a raising war with him until he was all in. That won me a pot worth $32,400. Not a monster by my new standards, but still a decent one.

delta: $15,350
balance: $453,678

No comments:

Post a Comment