Monday, February 17, 2020

The peril of the shorter stack

Last night, I didn't outlast the late registration period of the one tournament I entered. On my final hand, I got my money in good, but it wasn't meant to be. I was dealt the ace and king of diamonds, and two more aces showed up in the flop. I went all in after the turn, which should have forced my opponent to fold, but he called. Granted, he had a flush draw, and had me covered, but he wasn't getting the right price to call. Be that as it may, he hit his flush, and I was out of the tournament in a New York minute. The problem with having a shorter stack than an opponent in a tournament is that shoving won't necessarily cause him to fold, even when it's the mathematically correct play. Despite that, I never regret shoving when it turns out I was the favorite. I was an 84% favorite after the turn in last night's scenario.

style flavor buy_in entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE   174000 26000       6      71   18     -        0


delta: $-200,000
MTT NLHE balance: $8,180,668
2020 balance: $1,249,343
balance: $63,057,353

No comments:

Post a Comment