Friday, February 7, 2020

Everything I hate about cash

Last night, after failing to make the money in the two MTT NLHE tournaments I entered, I decided to try a poker variant recently introduced on PokerStars - no limit 6+ hold'em. 6+ hold'em is short deck poker - the deuce through the five of each suit has been removed from the deck, so that 6 is the lowest denomination in each suit (hence the name). I assumed it was going to be a tournament, but to my horror, it turned out to be a cash game. That forcibly brought back to me everything I hate about cash games:

1. there may be a rake
2. tables can quit on you
3. big stacks can bully you, and you're stuck with them
4. donkeys can bleed all the fun from the game
5. there's no natural ending point
6. bad luck will eventually bite you

I started the cash game with an initial stack of $25,000, at a table with 5 other players.  After about 15 minutes, only 3 of us were left, and one of them was sitting out. So I was left heads up against a big stack who was playing aggressively. We played for about half an hour, nobody else joined, the sitting out player never returned, and the big stack eventually quit on me. I lost $13,657. It was the least fun I've had playing poker in years. 6+ cash? Never again!

style flavor buy_in entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE    87000 13000       6     107   24    34        0
MTT   NLHE    45000  5000       6      93   27     -        0


delta: $-163,657
MTT NLHE balance: $8,881,668
2020 balance: $1,950,343
balance: $63,758,353

1 comment:

  1. Hello Neo,

    I disagree with basically all of your points as to why cash games suck. There IS a rake in MTTs. Big stacks are much more likely to exist in tournaments, where they have a much bigger influence over smaller stacks. Donkeys are how you win money, and they exist in tournaments as well. You can stop whenever you want, which is nice if something comes up and you have to stop playing. Bad luck exists in equal proportions in MTTs and cash.

    In short, I respect your opinion, but you need to get better reasons for why you dislike cash.

    -Al

    ReplyDelete