Saturday, July 29, 2017

Poker parkour

I first became aware of the term parkour when I was watching a Minecraft video with my daughter several years ago; she a Minecraft aficionado. Here's Wikipedia's definition of parkour:

Parkour (French pronunciation: ​[paʁkuʁ]) is a training discipline using movement that developed from military obstacle course training.[4][5][6] Practitioners aim to get from one point to another in a complex environment, without assistive equipment and in the fastest and most efficient way possible.

Thinking back on it, I realize I'd seen Jackie Chan perform parkour in a movie before I knew what it was called. He scaled the right angle formed by two perpendicular walls in a series of jumps, without ever using his hands. He made it look incredibly easy, but the outtakes at the end of the movie showed how difficult it had actually been.

I've read that some practitioners of parkour use city structures, and that some have fallen to their deaths attempting to leap from the top of one tall building to another.

This is all by way of trying to describe the kind of daring that at times is absolutely required when playing tournament poker. It's kind of like leaping from stone to stone across the Grand Canyon, when these stones are magically suspended in mid-air and don't even appear until after you've already started to jump towards where you hope the next one will be.

My parkour move last night was going all in on a stealth two pair, seeing my opponent make a superior two pair on the turn, and spiking a full house on the river. This was on hand 51, and I survived to play another 67 hands.

style flavor buy_in entry players hands entries paid place winnings

MTT-R NLHE    43500  6500       9   118      89   18     7   906000


delta: $756,000
MTT with rebuys NLHE balance: $13,152,000
2017 balance: $14,226,325
balance: $25,644,155

No comments:

Post a Comment