Tuesday, November 22, 2016

A hulk and a hubcap

If you park your car at night in a poorly lit, high crime area of a major city, the longer you leave it there, the less of it there'll be when you get back. Last night, figuratively speaking, I left my vehicle so long that all that was left on my return was a hulk and a hubcap. Let me explain. Whenever a six player sit and go reaches three handed play, and one of the three players happens to be sitting out, the other two players can guarantee that they both make the money simply by taking turns winning the blinds. The player to the right of the player who is sitting out gets the best of it; he'll take the blinds two times every orbit, whereas the player to the left of the player who is sitting out will only take them once every orbit. However, neither of these players will lose any chips, while the player who is sitting out will eventually be blinded off. The two active players, figuratively speaking, are stripping the abandoned vehicle of the player who is sitting out.

How did I come to abandon my vehicle? It was unintentional, of course. While waiting for my table to fill up, I decided to use the Kindle reader app to continue reading Wilkie Collins's "The Woman in White", which I'd started reading over the weekend. In their infinite wisdom, the programmers of the Kindle app evidently decided that reading was the most important thing anyone could ever do on a computer, so they disabled the ability of any other app to take the input focus away from the Kindle reader. This meant that when the table filled up, I had no way of knowing that it had. The PokerStars software did the right thing in this case, which was to automatically sit me out. The combination of being sat out, along with being thoroughly engrossed in "The Woman in White", conspired to make me forget to check on my poker table until it was much too late. Of the 40 hands I "played", I only actually got to play the last one. I find it rather humorous to think that I came in third :-)

style flavor buy_in entry players hands place winnings

SNG   8-Game  17000  3000       6   155     2    35700
SNG   NLHE    85000 15000       6    40     3        0


delta: $-84,300
Sit and go no limit hold'em balance: $2,756,840
balance: $11,033,530

No comments:

Post a Comment