Tuesday, April 5, 2016

ROI death match

My favorite poker flavor is 8-game. My favorite poker style for playing 8-game is MTT. I actually have a very impressive MTT 8-game ROI - for every play dollar I wager, I win back 1.4719 play dollars. My sit and go no limit hold'em ROI is much less impressive - for every play dollar I wager, I win back just 1.0577 play dollars. So it would seem that in an ROI death match, MTT 8-game should utterly demolish SNG NLHE, right? Actually, wrong. As wrong as wrong can be. There are two major problems here. One is time, and the other is money :-)

First, the time problem. MTT 8-games, on average, take much longer than SNG NLHEs to play. Although MTT 8-games are very enjoyable to play, they simply take too long from an ROI perspective.

Next, the money problem. There are no high roller MTT 8-games on PokerStars, at least that I can find. So even though I'm making 47% on my investment, I'm only able to invest peanuts, so I'm only making peanuts.

The upshot is that I'll still keep playing MTT 8-games for fun, but will restrict myself to one a session. I'll keep playing SNG NLHEs for my bread and butter. Don't get me wrong; SNG NLHEs are also a lot of fun to play.

style flavor buy_in entry players hands entries paid place winnings

MTT   8-Game   4500   500       6   143      75   18     2    59060
SNG   NLHE    44000  6000       6    67       6    2     3        0


delta: $4,060
Sit and go no limit hold'em balance: $4,176,200
balance: $12,233,954

No comments:

Post a Comment