Saturday, May 15, 2021

Turning the dial to 11 considered harmful

I never saw the rock mockumentary "This is Spinal Tap", but am aware of one impact it had on popular culture; to wit, the whimsical concept of going beyond the bounds of the possible, illustrated in the movie by someone in the band turning up the dial on an amplifier to 11, when its maximum setting was 10.

This is an excerpt from my February 25, 2011 post. In no limit hold'em, going all in is equivalent to turning the dial to 11. It's a move which should be used sparingly, unless you're heads up. Last night, I only turned the dial to 11 once, and it didn't work out well. In fact, I hit the rail on that very hand. I was dealt AQo (ace queen offsuit), and paired both cards on the flop. That's when I shoved. I got one caller, who'd been dealt AKo (ace king offsuit). He paired his king on the turn, taking me from a favorite to a huge underdog. Only a queen on the river could save me, and no queen arrived. Thankfully, I'd already made the money, so my blue streak is still alive :-)

style flavor buy_in  entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE   174000  26000       6      58   15     8   594000

delta: $394,000
MTT NLHE balance: $31,177,768
2021 balance: $7,806,000
blue distance: $0
balance: $85,471,453

No comments:

Post a Comment