Monday, November 9, 2020

Rushed decision

There's an old adage in poker that "long is wrong". In other words, if you take an exorbitant amount of time to make a decision, its quality is likely to be poor. Of course, there's a lower bound on how long you should spend on a decision as well - fall below it at your peril. That's what happened to me last night; I exited the tournament due to a rushed decision. A little background is necessary here. Due to the fact that MTT NLHE tournaments on PokerStars can last two hours or more, periodic five minute breaks every 45 minutes or so are built in. I typically use one of these breaks to relieve my bladder and floss and brush my teeth. I usually get back to my laptop before the break is over, but sometimes I don't. Last night, I didn't. When I returned, I saw that I'd been dealt KQo (king queen offsuit), but was in danger of being auto sat out, as the action was on me and my time was ticking down. I panicked, and called a bet without even looking at how many opponents were still in the hand, how big the bet was, or how many chips I had left. Idiotic behavior, to be sure. My call put me all in against two opponents, and I got what I deserved - I was gone in a New York minute. One consolation - in an earlier hand, I hit quad threes for a welcome, if brief, chip infusion.

style flavor buy_in  entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE   174000  26000       6      48   12     -        0

delta: $-200,000
MTT NLHE balance: $22,161,668
2020 balance: $14,939,343
blue distance: $2,330,000
balance: $76,747,353

No comments:

Post a Comment