Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Laptop design failure

My session ended abruptly last night due to a design failure of my new laptop. Specifically, a failure in the design of the trackpad. It has no mouse buttons; my old laptop did. Without mouse buttons, the trackpad itself must emulate their features. That's where the problem lies. The primary function of the trackpad is to move the cursor around. Thanks to no mouse buttons, the secondary function is to register left clicks and right clicks. It's a bad idea to overload the same input device with multiple functions, since the action intended by the user can be misconstrued. That's what happened to me last night. I had top pair (jacks) on the turn, but there were two deuces on the board. An opponent bet big enough to put me all in if I called, so I figured he had a deuce in his hand. I decided to fold. Unfortunately, the cursor was hovering over the call button, so I needed to move it over the fold button and then perform a left click operation on the trackpad. I put a little bit too much pressure on the trackpad in my attempt to move the cursor, and my action was interpreted as a left click instead. I was put all in, and was out in a New York minute; my opponent did indeed have a deuce. This never could have happened had my laptop's trackpad included mouse buttons. Expletive deleted.

style flavor buy_in entry players entries paid place winnings

MTT   NLHE   174000 26000       6      42   10     -        0

delta: $-200,000
MTT NLHE balance: $23,431,668
2020 balance: $16,209,343
blue distance: $1,060,000
balance: $78,017,353

No comments:

Post a Comment