Thursday, April 25, 2019

Preemptive immediate service

This is the second time I've used this blog post title; the first was on December 31, 2016. I'm now going to quote from that post, which itself quoted from an earlier post:

The most memorable hand of last night's session, as is generally the case for memorable hands, was one that I lost :-) I was dealt pocket rockets (a pair of aces). An opponent acting before me bet big enough to put me all in if I called, and I did. When he turned over AJo (ace jack offsuit), I was very happy; I knew he was a big underdog. Running the numbers, he had only a 6.75% chance of winning. However, unfortunately for me, he received preemptive immediate service from the poker gods. What do I mean by that? First, here's the definition of immediate service (from my blog post of September 20, 2015):

One of my favorite poker commentators is Nick Wealthall. He provides commentary for online tournaments on PokerStars. One  phrase I really like which he uses quite often is "immediate service"; it refers to hitting a straight or flush draw as soon as possible, in other words on the turn.

With that in mind, preemptive immediate service is immediate service which comes on an even earlier street, i.e. on the flop.


Last night, I hit the rail when an opponent received preemptive immediate service. I was dealt pocket rockets, and he was dealt cowboys (pocket kings). I was an 81.71% favorite before the flop, but the flop had a king it, and I was suddenly drawing thin - 12.22%. The turn and river both bricked. That was the second time in the last three tournaments I went aces out against cowboys. Aces ouch :-)

style flavor buy_in entry players hands entries paid place winnings

MTT-R NLHE    43500  6500       9    29      66   15    38        0
MTT-R NLHE    43500  6500       9    30      54   12    41        0


delta: $-300,000
MTT with rebuys NLHE balance: $40,820,000
2019 balance: $6,816,250
balance: $53,400,510

No comments:

Post a Comment