Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sit and go swan song

I love playing tournaments. And yet, I also hate playing tournaments. Is there a way to reconcile this dichotomy? Let's see. What do I love about tournaments? I love that my innate quant skills give me a leg up on the competition. What do I hate about tournaments? I hate that on any hand, I can be outdrawn. What can be concluded from this? At least for now, tournaments make me gun shy. There's too much variance. If only I could be guaranteed of never having to wait for an 8-game tournament to begin! My tournament selection criteria, which I outlined in last night's post, are deeply flawed. Let me try to explain why. Let's use an analogy. Let's say I'm great at long distance running. If I had the patience to wait for the long distance races to come along, I'd do fine. Unfortunately, I don't have that patience. Just to satisfy my craving to run, I enter sprint races, and get my head handed to me on a platter. 8-game tournaments are long distance races, and hold'em tournaments are sprints. I'm just not as fast as I wish I were. However, I have great staying power when I'm not trying to run as fast as I can. I need to play to my strengths. Accordingly, I'm heading back to my bread and butter, cash game no limit hold'em. The lesson I keep needing to relearn, and which poker has been patiently trying to drill into my thick head all long, is that there really are no shortcuts. Shame on me for fooling myself that there might be!

buy_in entry_fee num_players num_hands place winnings

 45000      5000           6        14     5        0
 45000      5000           6        69     3        0
 45000      5000           6        35     5        0
 45000      5000           6        17     5        0
 45000      5000           6        16     3        0

delta: $-250,000
tournament balance: $1,641,040
balance: $9,614,470

No comments:

Post a Comment