Monday, November 30, 2009

Feeling flush

I lucked out tonight. I was playing cautiously, probably too cautiously. When I flopped trip 8s, I slow-played that hand, and ended up losing to a straight. If I'd bet it out, it's likely the player with the straight draw would have folded before it came to showdown. Of course, hindsight is 20-20.

Though I've never surfed, I'm pretty sure that catching a monster hand is like catching a monster wave. You have to be patient, but not too patient! You have to sense the monster before you actually see it, and get up on your board and start riding before you know exactly how big it is.

My monster hand tonight was a flush. I was dealt the nine and queen of diamonds, and caught a diamond on the flop. I also paired the nine, so I decided to stay in the hand in hopes of trip nines. Admittedly, not a very sound strategy. I certainly wasn't staying in the hand for runner runner diamonds! When the turn came a diamond, though, I then started thinking about a flush on the river. No one bet huge on the turn, so I stayed around and got lucky. When I made the flush and bet it out, I had a taker who ended up crippling his stack. Poker karma again!

How can I defend my strategy of holding out for trip nines? I just sensed that I was due. A hunch, pure and simple. There was certainly no conscious calculation of odds. If I'm lucky often enough, though, it might be that my hunches are based on some kind of subconscious calculation of odds which I'm not even aware of. Pretty unlikely, I'll admit, but it makes for an interesting supposition!

tonight's delta: $2,335
current balance: $245,639

No comments:

Post a Comment